How to Prepare for a Kitchen Remodel
Houzz Kitchen Trends Study reports that 41% of the homeowners reported that their new kitchens lead to a healthy change in their lifestyle. Another 49% said that their family time has increased after their remodeling.
An outdated kitchen can turn you away from spending time cooking and also impact your family time. Even a little change like a coat of paint or polish can make a big difference in your kitchen provided that you do it right.
For this reason, renovation is just the thing you need to get back to a healthy lifestyle.
Here’s everything you need to know about remodeling from prepping, storing, designs, colors, costs, and many more. We’ve also added our favorite design trends of 2021, from the backsplash to countertops and cabinets.
The kitchen is the heart of any home. Remodeling a kitchen is a major undertaking for the entire family, not just on the convenience front but also with the expense.
Here are the top reasons why homeowners renovate despite all the inconveniences:
- Increase the value of the home
- Update the appliances
- Upgrade to meet the family’s needs
- Accommodate a special needs family member
- Get a fresh look
How Do I Prepare for a Kitchen Remodel?
Remodeling is not only about the cabinets, countertops, flooring, etc., but it also renders the room inaccessible for some time.
With this in mind, you need to prepare your house and family for the remodel. Here’re eight steps to effectively prep for a remodel:
- Set up a temporary kitchen.
- Packaway everything you do not need for everyday cooking.
- Set aside things for donation.
- Move your essential utensils and pantry to a temporary location or a temporary kitchen.
- Stock up on dry food like bread, pasta, oatmeal, etc.
- Disconnect the gas, electricity, and plumbing lines.
- Cover the electronics and furniture so that they are not affected by dust.
- Remove pictures and hangings from the walls.
How to Pack Up a Kitchen for Remodel?
Unloading everything and storing it away is a daunting task, especially if space is an issue. However, you have to figure out how to put away everything efficiently so that unpacking doesn’t take long.
Here are a few tips to help you pack for renovation.
- Wrap all your silverware separately and store them in gallon bags.
- Pack all the dishes in a box. Layer them with newspapers, tissues, or paper plates in between to reduce friction.
- Do the same with your pots, pans, and baking utensils.
- Make sure not to dump everything in one box so that it is easy to carry around.
What Are the Benefits of Kitchen Remodeling?
Renovating your kitchen can breathe a new life and enhance the appearance in ways more than one. However difficult it is, the benefits of remodeling are numerous:
- Increases the value of your home
- Decluttered space
- Increased comfort
- More storage space
- Enhanced safety features
- Save energy and water.
- Improved design
What Do I Need to Know Before Remodeling a Kitchen?
Remodeling your kitchen is a task even for the professionals, and you sometimes end up biting more than you chew. With the proper planning, you can avoid the usual pitfalls:
- Finalize your budget and stick to it.
- Consider the existing layout.
- Add island only if you have enough space.
- Do you want those state of the art appliances?
- Make sure you have enough lighting.
- Stick to your schedule.
- Adhere to the electrical code.
- Pick a practical floor.
What Should You Not Do in a Kitchen Remodel?
A kitchen renovation is a substantial financial undertaking. So, make sure you avoid the below mistakes:
- Picking the appliances last
- Wrong sizes
- Not considering the workflow.
- Skimping on storage
- Not hiring a designer.
- Not keeping a check on the budget.
- Choosing fragile materials for their looks
What’s Trending in Kitchens 2021?
2021 sees the return of unconventional materials, and all-white kitchens are finally going out of trend.
- Silver or gold-tipped light bulbs
- Countertop and cabinets in contrasting materials
- Practical countertops
- Bold backsplash
- Steel hoods
- Open shelving
- Warm colors
- Sleek simplicity
In What Order Should You Remodel Your Kitchen?
Knowing the right order can help you plan and schedule accordingly.
- Tear out and get rid of old materials.
- Rough-in work, including framing, electric work, and plumbing.
- Professional Inspection.
- Hang the drywall.
- Install the doors and windows.
- Fix the cabinets and plumbing fixture.
- Install oven, microwave, fridge, etc
- Place the new flooring.
What is the Best Way to Style Your Kitchen?
A few tips and tricks can easily elevate your kitchen to the next level.
- Go for a layered arrangement.
- Dress up your utility sink with trays, ceramic soap mumps, etc.
- Add a cookbook shelf.
- Natural greenery with pots of herbs
How to Make a Small Kitchen Feel Larger?
Small kitchens are a bane of today’s cramped living space. Following our tips can help you make it appear larger.
- Glass cabinet doors
- The Cabinet color should be the same as the walls.
- Recess storage
- Narrow table, slim chairs, etc. that don’t take up much space
- Open plan
- Open shelves
- Flood the space with light
- Paint it white
Is Remodeling a Kitchen Worth It?
Yes! Remodeling is worth it since you can recoup the money spent when you sell your home.
What is the Most Efficient Design for a Kitchen?
The most efficient design is the Galley Style kitchen, particularly the L-shape.
They make good use of every available space, making it perfect for small kitchens.
What Are Your Favorite Backsplash Ideas?
Out of the box, backsplashes are the trend of 2021.
- Tin wall
- Accent wall
- Mirrored tile
- Unique shapes
- Molded backsplash
- Mosaic tiles
Should I Get an Open Plan Kitchen? If So, Why?
Yes, You should get an open plan. It allows you to spend time with the guests while you prepare the meal moreover you could also serve food efficiently without having to run off.
However, you should be able to maintain a clean space without being messy.
What Appliances Have to Be Included in a Kitchen?
As can be seen, well-stocked and planned kitchens can include some or all of the below:
- Toaster Oven
- Stand mixer
- Food processor
- Dutch oven
How May I Renovate My Kitchen in a Cost-effective Way?
Kitchen-remodel is one of the labor-intensive works you have ever encountered. However, you can save money by cutting corners like:
- Polish and repaint the cabinets.
- Refurbish the appliance if it works
- Do not change the layout.
- Do it Yourself: Paint, floors, tiles.
What Is the Best Color for a Kitchen?
Kitchens are a warm and welcoming space. And as such, colors suitable are:
- White: Energizes the room
- Grey: The perfect neutral
- Blue: Invigorating color when used sparingly
- Red: Increases the appetite.
- Yellow: Brightens the space
- Green: Adds a hold of the energy.
How Do I Choose a Color Scheme for My Kitchen?
The look of the kitchen often sets the tone for the entire house. For this reason, you may want to consider the below factors before choosing a color scheme:
- Go for neutral colors.
- The home decor should mesh together.
- Dark colors go well in a brightly lit space; meanwhile, lighter colors light up the room in case there is a lack of natural light.
- Small kitchens benefit from light cabinets while dark colors for large spaces.
- Neutral countertop with bright backsplash.
What Colors Make a Small Kitchen Look Bigger?
For small kitchens, white is the best color for walls, cabinets, countertops, and ceilings. The seamless inclusion of white removes the boundaries, therefore creating an illusion of larger space. It also reflects the light making the walls recede.
You can also mix for buttery white, crisp white, and gray-toned white.
Which Color is Best for Kitchen Cabinets?
Finding the right hue for your cabinets may be a frustrating task. But it is vital for a complete kitchen.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right hue:
- White and dark grey
- Crisp white
- Off white
- Sea green
- Blue and green
- Muted shades
Wooden cabinets are also making a come back with traditional wood finishes, adding a warm look and feel. Another trend to watch for is mixing natural wood tones with painted cabinets.
Is It Better to Spray Paint or Hand Paint Kitchen Cabinets?
Spray paints may be the better option when you are in a hurry. It leaves an even finish and also gets the task done quicker. But they also have the tendency to look flat.
All things considered, the best option could be the hand-painted cabinets with rollers used in large spaces.
How Long Does a Kitchen Renovation Take?
An average-sized kitchen renovation could take anywhere from 6-8 weeks with the standard fixtures. But for a more custom job, including wall removals and reconfiguration of floor plans, it can take anywhere from 10-12 weeks.
However, for DIY jobs, it would take months to complete.
How to Survive a Kitchen Remodel?
It isn’t easy to live without a kitchen for any amount of time, not to mention the weeks it takes to complete the remodel.
Here are a few survival tips to help you through:
- Purge your kitchen and separate the items you wish to donate.
- Put aside food and utensils needed to set a temporary kitchen.
- Make a temporary kitchen. You cannot survive the weeks let alone months on takeout.
- Plan easy meals. Microwave, toaster oven, electric griddle, and grill could help create a quick meal.
- Do not hesitate to order a take out.
- Keep your kids out of the construction zone.
- Protect your pets.
How to Survive without a Kitchen During Your Remodel?
It is not possible to cannot survive on takeouts the entire remodeling time. As long as you plan, you can go the length without a hitch to your regular routine.
- Set up a temporary kitchen away from the construction, preferably near a sink. Allocate space for prep work.
- Use plastic/paper plates and disposable containers.
- Make big meals and freeze them.
- Bring out your grill during warmer months.
- Get help from a friend and use her kitchen to make large meals.
- Spread a plastic sheet on the floor and picnic inside your house.
How Much Should an Average Kitchen Remodel Cost?
An average should cost anywhere between $12,567 to $34,962. However, this is not concrete; You can go as little as $4,000 for smaller kitchens and $50,000 for large, elaborate kitchens.
What is the Cheapest Way to Remodel a Kitchen?
Not everyone can afford a complete remodel. Here are some inexpensive ways to give your kitchen a new look:
- Update your cabinets.
- Budget countertops work as well.
- Rollout shelves
- New paints and curtains
- Fancy backsplash
- Fancy faucets
- No electronics unless necessary.
What is the Most Expensive Part of a Kitchen Remodel?
The most expensive part of a remodel is the cabinets, which costs upwards of $15,000. The appliance follows it at $8,200 and the countertop at $6000.
Why is Kitchen Remodeling So Expensive?
Kitchens are material-intensive, with tiles, countertops, cabinets, etc., taking up much of your budget. Additionally, you have the plumbing and electric requirements, fixtures, new appliances, installation, if any, etc.
Does Remodels Need a Permit?
It depends! In case you are doing major remodeling work on your house, like walls, adding or moving plumbing or electrical systems, you need a permit.
But for repainting the cabinets and refurbishing the existing ones, you might not need a permit.
What Happens if You Don’t Get a Permit for a Kitchen Remodel?
Without a permit, you might not get any bank loans. You can get into trouble with an appraiser if he/she notes your unpermitted work. In this case, you will not be able to get your home appraised. Moreover, this can get you automatically disqualified.
Furthermore, if you buy a house with unpermitted work, your lender could ask you to repay the loan with immediate effect.
Can You Sell a House with Unpermitted Work?
Yes! You might be able to sell your home with unpermitted work. But for that to happen, you would have to reduce the price way lower to find a buyer who is ready to take up the hassle.
Far from being a place to cook, kitchens have an important presence in a family’s routine. Often they are the meeting place for the entire family. Therefore, it needs to be in the best shape and look. In any case, an outdated one can bring down the energy of the family.
Kitchen remodel is one of the most labor-intensive and financial burdens you’ll ever face in your life other than buying a new home.
On the other hand, you don’t even need a full remodel to reap the benefits. Relatively simple changes like a coat of paint, new cabinets, or a refurbished appliance can greatly impact how you view the room.
Before jumping into remodeling, you might want to get prepared with a temporary kitchen, and everything else packed up and put away. A well-prepared plan can help your remodeling go without a hitch in the oncoming weeks. Lastly, do not hesitate to consult with an architect or a professional. A money well-spent is better than the mistakes, which can be costly in a few years.
Assurance Builders was founded in 1998 with a commitment to provide our clients a personal and enjoyable home improvement experience. By offering professional workmanship and quality products, Assurance Builders has earned a reputation for excellent work and quality service. If you are planning to remodel your kitchen or bathroom (or entire home), contact Assurance Builders for your FREE quote today!